Friday, July 19, 2013

Work on the Hastati Continues...

I was finally able to start putting paint to the second unit of Roman hastati after a busy summer at both work and play. These figures paint up rather quickly and nicely - so it shouldn't be long before another unit is finished. I'm looking forward to getting enough Roman units done so I can field both sides of a (small) battle and get my brother involved in some historical games with me.

In other news, I just finished reading The Forgotten Legion by Ben Kane. It wasn't as inspirational as I thought it might be, but it was entertaining enough that I have purchased the second title in the series to continue the story. I'll put up a full book review very soon.


7 comments:

  1. Very nice work. I'm really looking forward to seeing them ready for battle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start, and I have to ask, has your brother ever gamed historicals before?

    I ask because I've tried to get my brother in law to come down and give it a go, with no success to date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monty! My brother hasn't done any historical gaming yet despite his love for ancient and medieval warfare. He and I have gamed together all of our lives, so getting him to the table shouldn't be a problem. Now, getting him to buy and paint some armies will be a little tougher, but that is my ultimate goal. :)

      Delete
  3. These figures seem a little more static than the previous ones. Are they the same manufacturer?

    FMB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, in fact most of these are the exact same poses as the previous unit. Goes to show what shading and highlighting and then some dynamic basing can do to change the feel of the individual figures.

      Delete
  4. You painted these very good so far Jonathan! Can't wait to see them finished!
    Speaking about Ben Kane I'll start the third part in a few days. The Road to Rome! I liked the two previous parts!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete