Friday, September 21, 2012

The Mighty Treebeard

There are days when a pile of unpainted Carthaginian spearmen or Scottish highlanders just becomes too much, and I have to toss them aside and pick up my brush and paint something truly epic and fantastical.

I really enjoy playing Games Workshop's Lord of the Rings Battle Strategy Game. I love the lore as penned by Tolkien and the GW models (for the most part) are amazing and bring the story to life on the table. Plus, there is a small but passionate group of local players that I really enjoying hanging out with on regularly on Thursday evenings.

I was initially torn about posting Lord of the Rings stuff here at The Inevitable Spark as I had intended this site to focus specifically on historical wargaming but, when I get the urge to paint or talk about Lord of the Rings this site would be neglected for possibly weeks at a time. I didn't want to do that, plus, this stuff is pretty cool and I want to share it. Don't be surprised if you see more of it from time to time. I hope you don't mind.

So, having said all that, I give you the mighty Treebeard, eldest of all the Ents - a great model that I enjoyed painting this week. It took a lot of subtle drybrushing and some fun work on the base to get him the way I had envisioned the finished painted figure looking in my head. I may still add some branches and leaves to him.

"I have not troubled about the Great Wars. They mostly concern Elves and Men. That is the business of Wizards: Wizards are always troubled about the future. I do not like worrying about the future. I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side, if you understand me."


4 comments:

  1. Nice! The little tree on his base sets the whole thing off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tree is rather suttle, works very well and as for posting, it's your blog so I sat do as you feel

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found this. Wonderful work! I love your ent and I love the color yellow popping. Makes me want to play LoTR.

    I think its smart to mix projects and styles up. I love variety in blogs so I think you should post whatever your projects are...historical, fantasy, whatever!

    ReplyDelete